Arthritis sucks. It is the most common ailment in the USA. But just like any ailment, there are ways to ease the symptoms by eating foods that reduce inflammation. Here is a list of seven that just might help:
1) Green tea. Contains a natural antioxidant which may prevent cartilage from breaking down.
2) Foods with Omega-3 fatty acids. Fish oils. flaxseeds, walnuts and other good fats may help build strength and reduce fatigue.
3) Olive oil. Contains a compound which blocks the same inflammatory pathways as ibuprofen and aspirin.
4) Fruits and Veggies containing Beta Carotene. Foods like carrots, pumpkin, kale, and sweet potatoes not only help reduce inflammation but may prevent inflammation-related disorders like rheumatoid arthritis.
5) Vitamin C. Foods with Vitamin C – oranges, broccoli, bell peppers, kiwis, kidney beans, and more – may be responsible for the growth of collagen, and therefore cartilage, in the body.
6) Anthocyanins. These super powerful antioxidants inhibit inflammatory chemicals and can be found in the red and purple foods like eggplant, cranberries, grapes, plums and currants.
7) Spices. For eons pungent spices like ginger and turmeric have been used medicinally for their anti-inflammatory properties.
AND if you have arthritis, or are wanting to prevent it in the future, avoid these five food groups:
1) saturated fats
2) trans fats
3) fried food in general
4) refined carbohydrates
5) and foods high in simple sugars